Thursday, November 19, 2020

‘Singh/Kaur’ :-SGPC-Run University Allows Last-Minute Name Change to Add ‘Singh/Kaur’ For Sikh Quota Seats

Every Sikh student must also give in written that "I have the word 'Singh' or 'Kaur' affixed to my name”.

The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC)-run Sri Guru Ramdas University of Health Sciences Amritsar has said it has no objection to last-minute name changes by candidates to be eligible for the MBBS seat under Sikh minority quota.

The university has 75 minority quota seats for which only Sikh students can apply. However, the list of candidates uploaded by Baba Farid University of Health and Sciences (BFUHS) Faridkot for the Sikh minority quota had at least eight such names which were not affixed with ‘Singh’ or ‘Kaur’.

To claim the seats under minority quota, Sikh students have to submit an affidavit which reads, “That I am Sikh and belong to the Sikh community. I practise the Sikh faith, maintain Sikh appearance and do not cut or trim my hair; including hair on my eyebrows. I have faith only in the ten Sikh gurus and Sri Guru Granth Sahib and do not owe allegiance to any other sect or religion.”

A candidate must also declare further that “I shall continue maintaining the Sikh appearance during the course of my studies and thereafter”.

Every Sikh student must also give in written that “I have the word ‘Singh’ or ‘Kaur’ affixed to my name”.

However, sources said some students who sat for the NEET test without Singh or Kaur affixed to their name have changed their name before applying under minority quota.

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/sgpc-run-university-allows-last-minute-name-change-to-add-singh-kaur-for-sikh-quota-seats

No comments: