Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Guru Granth Sahib Bir Removed From Khalsa College Ex-Principal’s Home

Members of Amritsar-based Guru Granth Sahib Satkar Committee took away Bir (recension) from the residence of a retired college principal at Bassi Jalal village in Hoshiarpur district on Sunday 9th August as meat and eggs are cooked there.

The act has left Jaswant Singh Sandhu, a 78-year-old amritdhari (baptised) Sikh, dejected. “ Mein unhaan nun bentian ketian ke na lai ke jao, mein aapne guru bagair nahi reh sakda. Per uh nhin manne (I pleaded with them to not take it away as I cannot live without my Guru. But they did not heed). I recite Gurbani from the Bir daily and complete three to four readings in a year. Since last evening, I’ve been feeling so empty inside,” he said.

Jaswant Singh Sandhu taught at the Khalsa College, Garhdiwala, and was principal at Babbar Akali Memorial Khalsa College, Garhshankar, for 10 years before retiring in 2002. Both the colleges are run by Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.

“I’ve had Parkash of Guru Granth Sahib in my house since 1976. When the Satkar Committee members asked me if I consumed meat and eggs, I said I eat them only occasionally, mostly when my son comes from abroad. I also said that there was no bar on a Sikh from having meat or egg. But they rebuked me, saying they would take away the bir and did not relent even as I pleaded with folded hands,” he added.

“I partook amrit around the same time when I did Parkash of Guru Granth Sahib at my home. I’ve been trying to understand the Guru’s message all my life and implementing it. I have also written a few articles on my understanding of gurbani philosophy of Guru Granth Sahib. And, at the fag end of my life, I have to face this shock,” he said in a choked voice

Satkar Committee head Balbir Singh Muchhal justified his act, saying nobody consuming meat or eggs can have bir at house. When told that there was no such bar in the Akal Takht prescribed rehat maryada (code of conduct), he said that was just a draft and he did not consider it Panth-approved maryada. When asked about Nihangs slaughtering goats and cook meat at their gurdwaras or places where they have Parkash of Guru Granth Sahib, he replied that it was for the Akal Takht to look into the matter.

Former SGPC general secretary Kiranjot Kaur condemned the act, saying, “Rehat maryada bars consumption of halal meat only. Such people are pushing people away from Guru Granth Sahib.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ludhiana/punjab-bir-removed-from-khalsa-college-ex-principals-home/articleshow/77477332.cms

No comments: