Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Hissaa Kaur : Amritsar Girl Bags Free Trip To National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)



16-year-old Amritsar Girl Hissaa Kaur, a class 10th student of DAV Public School received a rare opportunity to visit NASA after she topped the International Space Olympiad (ISO) 2020. She scored 78.75 marks in International Space Olympiad (ISO) in the preliminary, intermediate and final test collectively.


What is surprising is the fact that not only is she the first student from India to secure this position in the senior category, but also the one to achieve it with her own hard work, without any coaching.

It was a ‘dream comes true’ for her when she got the official confirmation. She wants to be an astrophysicist. She competed with students from Singapore and Switzerland, besides different parts of India, and bagged the first place.

“I got myself registered in September 2019, but due to Covid-19 restrictions, the first-round examination was pushed to January, followed by the second phase being conducted in June and the final in August. I am eagerly waiting for the situation to get favourable so that I could visit my dream destination, the NASA centre,” said Hissaa.

Hissaa Kaur credited her father Savrajinder Pal Singh, an engineer with the MC, Amritsar, and her mother Kamalpreet Kaur, an English teacher in a government school, for her success.

“Having an engineering background, my father taught me the nuances of science and my mother made sure that I get the best of knowledge in astronomy,” she added.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/schools/amritsar-girl-bags-free-trip-to-nasa-

 

Dr. Gurdeep Kaur
Associate Professor
Sri Guru Nanak Dev Khalsa College
University of Delhi



No comments: