Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Pavitar Singh :Always Do Your Part in Vocalizing Discrimination To Bring About Change in Society

Image may contain: text

Update :

The manager of the agency called me up and discussed the matter in detail. She apologized and acknowledged that her colleague's actions were uncalled for and the whole situation on her end could have been handled better. I had a heartfelt conversation with the manager for her to understand the gravity of the matter.

The agent has since issued an official apology to me with the manager and director in the loop and the company has also accepted my offer to have a scheduled online session to learn about Sikhism, the significance of the turban and every individual's right to practice our religion in workplaces according to the constitution of Singapore regardless of race, language and religion.
                      Pavitar Singh
I have also offered a free of charge training session to the agency on how they can better approach prospective clients and candidates whilst being sensitive to one's religious practices and background. They are going to schedule it with me soon.

I still stand by my decision to not reveal names because smear campaigning is never a solution and it destroys lives. As seen in this letter of apology, the agent is a mother of 2 kids and I am unknown to her personal situation. Had I revealed names, her job could be on the line thus affecting the stability of her family.

There has been a lot of talk about how her name and the agency's name should be released to name and shame them. However, it is unlike me to shame someone, goes against my morals and the very teachings of my religion.

The whole point of sharing my experience was to highlight the prevalent decimation in our country and the importance of combating it effectively.

By taking the high road of educating, I have very successfully created a rapport with the agency to be educated on my faith and its practices so as to prevent such incidents in the future.

My methods may not be agreeable to many but this is the method I choose to adopt and I see more benefit in it than destroying someone's life and livelihood.

I am glad this matter has been handled amicably and appropriately and I urge everyone to always do their part in vocalizing discrimination and in their personal capacities, bring about change.

I am grateful to all the outpouring of support I have received.

Thank you.
Pavitar Singh

Dr.Gurdeep kaur
Associate Professor
Sri Guru Nanak Dev Khalsa College
University of Delhi

No comments: