Saturday, August 15, 2020

Harkishan Singh Sanam :Sikh youth emerges as singing sensation with unique blend of Punjabi-Kashmiri music in J-K's Pulwama




A 25-years-old Kashmiri, Harkishan Singh Sanam, has emerged as a singing sensation in the Valley while surprising many with his soulful blend of Punjabi and Kashmiri musical styles.

                            Harkishan Singh's Latest Song

 

A postgraduate music student at the Shri Guru Granth Sahib World University in Punjab, Harkishan hails from the Tral area in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district. Due to a penchant for music ever since he was a child, Harkishan has created a stir in the Valley with his unique talent.                

"I have been interested in music all my life. I used to initially sing Urdu ghazals and Bollywood Punjabi songs until a few years ago when I was highly appreciated by elders from the nearby mosque. Our village has both Muslim and Sikh people. Every morning, sounds from the mosque could be heard in our temple, and our prayer songs could also be heard by them. They would often compliment my voice and give me their blessings," says Harkishan.


He added that his family and friends have been supporting him throughout his life. "I was very active in my school's cultural activities and my teachers and peers gave me a lot of support.


My biggest support system, however, is my mother. She has been instrumental in my musical journey. She was the one who first put my hand on a harmonium and got me my first piano. I went to the music classes because of her and thereby the umpteen numbers of opportunities opened up with massive support from my teachers," he said.


Harkishan's song covers have also received much praise from his audience on Facebook, garnering thousands of likes and shares on other social media platforms as well. His style of singing has helped to popularise many old school songs, particularly among the young generation in Kashmir. 

https://www.aninews.in/news/national/general-news/sikh-youth-emerges-as-singing-sensation-with-unique-blend-of-punjabi-kashmiri-music-in-j-ks-pulwama20200814212449/

https://www.facebook.com/harkrishansingh.sanam.5

Dr.Gurdeep Kaur
Associate Professor
Sri Guru Nanak Dev Khalsa College
University of Delhi


No comments: