Tuesday, October 5, 2010

CBI's case against Sajjan suffers setback as witness turns hostile

CBI's case against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case today suffered a setback in a Delhi court as a prosecution witness in the trial against him turned hostile, claiming he had not given shelter to one of the victims during the riots. "It is incorrect to suggest that Jagsher Singh alias Golu had also taken shelter in my house during that period or that I stated so in my statement (before CBI)," Ram Avtar Sharma, prosecution witness, told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.

"Had he taken shelter in my house, then I must have mentioned this fact in my statement because he was known to me," the witness added "voluntarily".

In his cross-examination by CBI, Sharma, 49, testified that he was not making a false statement under pressure from Kumar. "It is incorrect to suggest that I have been pressurised by accused Kumar to resile from my statement.

with thanks : Hindustan Times : link in headline above for detailed news.

SikhsIndia

No comments: