Thursday, November 17, 2011

He found his calling in turban tying

LUDHIANA: Jagtar Singh Jaggi is no ordinary professional. He earns his livelihood by tying turbans, which not many professionals in city would have thought of.

He runs a shop " Jaggi Turban Training Centre" in Brown Road area where he ties turbansfor his Sikh clients and also trains people in the art.



On asking what made him thought of this profession, says Jaggi, "I used to run a hosiery shop in Dhuri Line area. In 2004, a customer,Jaswinder Singh, who used to get his turban tied by me, told me that I am very good at the art. That was the first time I thought of exploring this as an option to earn livelihood."

During normal days, he gets about 20-50 customers, which include industrialists, businessmen, doctors, engineers, transporters, students and others. During wedding season, the number goes up to 50-80.

Jaggi says, "It takes me about 5-8 minutes to tie a turban. I do it in various styles, including Niku style (8.5 meters long), Grewaal style (8 meters), Daljit style (6.5 meters), Patiala Shahi(7.5 meters), NRI style (5.5 meters), American style and African."


with thanks : Times of India : link above for detailed news.

SikhsIndia

No comments: