Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sikh woman handcuffed and humiliated by immigration officers

Wed, Jul 22, 2009 8:21:47

A Sikh couple has been traumatized by immigration officers during a raid on their business yesterday.

Harbans Kaur, 47 a cloth merchant claimed that she was humiliated by a group of Immigration officers who raided her shop at the Chowrasta Bazaar in Jalan Penang last week.

Harbans Kaur, said two officers handcuffed her in full view of the public after questioning her nationality during the 4.30pm raid on July 13.

"They asked where I was from and I told them that I am Malaysian, but they refused to believe me and asked for my identity card." Asia One has reported

Harbans obliged but was shocked when the two men proceeded to handcuff her.

"I protested and asked them to remove the handcuffs but they refused until my husband demanded they do so," she said when met at Datuk Keramat assemblyman Japdeep Singh's service centre.

Harbans' husband, Dalbeer Singh, said the officers did not produce their authority cards despite being asked.

"I am saddened by the incident as there was no reason why these officers should treat my wife that way when they were already told she is Malaysian," he said, adding that both her hands were swollen as a result of the officers' rough treatment., Asia One went on to report

Jagdeep said Harbans was now traumatised by the incident. He said police later sent a letter to her stating that her "case" was being referred to the magistrate's court.

"I will write to the state chief police officer for a review of the case as she clearly did not commit any crime."

An Immigration Department spokesman said the department would investigate the matter but refused to comment further.

with thanks : source : http://www.emgonline.co.uk/news.php?news=6481

SikhsIndia
www.sohnijodi.com
A Sikh web portal

No comments: